October 2016 Midday Interfaith Dialogue
Welcome to the new partnership between the Saint Paul Interfaith Network (SPIN) and Luther Seminary for the monthly midday interfaith dialogue sessions held at Luther Seminary. We continue this series by asking, Who Are We? in this political environment.
What do our religious & belief traditions require of us?
Thursday, October 13, 2016
11:45 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (Note slightly earlier start time)
Luther Seminary, Olson Campus Center, 2481 Como Ave, St Paul, MN 55108 (View Map)
Parking on street or behind Center (Campus map and parking information here)
Current campaign rhetoric brings into focus and into question the following, Who is disenfranchised and who wields influence? Which voters have an edge and which ones encounter barriers to having their voices heard?
- Liz Haan Community Organizer, MN League of Women Voters, Your Vote Your Voice
- Imam Asad Zaman, Executive Director Muslim American Society of Minnesota
- Jaddie Edwards, MA, Luther Seminary 2014, Community Educator Stairstep Foundation/His Hands United, Anti-Racism Task Force, SPAS (Saint Paul Area Synod Evangelical Lutheran Church in America)
- Heather Edelson, Community Organizer, Former DFL Candidate for the House of Representatives (District 49A)
- Mark Van Steenwyk, founder of the Mennonite Worker and Director of the Center for Prophetic Imagination.
We will address these questions as well as challenge us to consider:
- How does “whiteness” play into our voting past, present and future rights and practices?
- How do we define and experience disenfranchisement from our various religious, cultural and generational perspectives?
- What are the moral and religious conversations and actions we need to have with one another? How does your tradition compel you to engage this question?
Join us at Luther Seminary for a time of learning and dialogue as we listen to the speakers and to one another. Leave with new conversations and opportunities for new actions before and after November 9. Free, open to all. Doors open at 11:15 a.m.; lunch is available in the cafeteria next door or bag lunches welcome.
Questions? Email here.